Monday, April 25, 2011

Alaska...

Did you know that there are more than 3 million lakes in Alaska? Did you know that you cannot take your pet flamingo into a barber shop? And that it is an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose in Alaska? And one more little bit of trivia for you - just in case you didn't get enough. You can fit the state of Rhode Island inside Alaska 425 times! Those are a few of my favorite tidbits that I learned about Alaska while helping Caleb with his states project this year!
Part of what he had to do for his project was make a salt dough replica of Alaska. I had been dreading doing this. I thought it was going to be a huge mess and just a pain and take forever! Plus, we had to do it over spring break - so that put a damper on some of our plans. But, it turned out to be a lot of fun! Caleb and I had a fun time together working on it.
Caleb did a great job with the painting - I helped a bit! :)
Here is the final project! I think it turned out fabulous! And we got an A!! YAY for us.
He had to get up in front of his class and talk all about the things he learned about Alaska and then the kids could ask him questions about it. He did a wonderful job. The final part of the project was a display for the parents to look at and the parents could walk around and quiz them about their state. He also had to have something to give out to them that went along with his state. We decided on a little bag of goldfish and we wrote on it "Happy Fishing in Alaska!"

I am really proud of all the work Caleb put into all for this project. There were about 5 different parts of the project and it lasted for about a month and a half. He really did a great job!! Totally deserved the A he got!! :)

No comments: