Sunday, November 2, 2008

When life hands you apples...

make applesauce! Okay, so my pictures always come out backwards. One of these days I will remember that I need to put them in backwards order when I am uploading them. But, I am too tired now to fix it, so we will just go backwards. I bought 38 pounds of honey crisp apples from Bountiful Baskets last weekend and thought I would try to make applesauce (which I have never tried to do before) and we even canned some sliced apples that we can use for apple pie (if I knew how to make a pie) and apple crisp! So, in backwards order here is how it went!
The finished product. We made 9 pints of applesauce and 5 quarts and 1 pint of sliced apples! I have to say - I am pretty proud of us. It is fun to try and learn new things!

Here it is in the steam canner (that Mary so graciously let us use! Thanks Mary - you are the best!!) This is the sliced apples.

Here is the applesauce.


My diligent helper!! He is so nice to help me when I get crazy ideas and in over my head. It took us about 4 1/2 hours. Super fun FHE!! :)


Here is everything set out at the beginning.


Jared took neat pictures as the kids helped me with the apple corer, peeler, slicer. They thought it was the coolest thing to do. Sabrina just sat in her high chair and ate an entire apple.

Caleb had a lot of fun with it.







1 comment:

Cindy Reed said...

HOW FUN!! And how great for Jared to help you out! The pictures with all of the apples on the table are perfect!! Looks like you guys had a good time!